• 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Exceptional value for very trance-inducing songs.

posted by haineux on 07/23/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

My favorite part about this device is that the songs are very trance-inducing. At first you might think they are boring or annoying, but after a few minutes, I start to really tune into the sound-shapes and notice subtle details that are actually very satisfying in an abstract way. Steve Reich would like this. (I haven't tried running several at the same time. Maybe one on each ear?)

Cons:

Since this runs off 1 AA battery, it's not super-loud. If you need more loudness, either use headphones, or plug the device into an external amplifier via the headphone jack. Note that Brian Eno says that often it's a good idea to have things like this playing at a just-barely-audible level, adding to the ambience of the environment instead of replacing it.

The songs are monophonic. None are very long.

The battery door is a little annoying. It's not entirely necessary for the unit to operate, however.

OtherThoughts:

Note that I don't speak any Tibetan, and have no idea what the songs say or are about. However, remember it's not "just" an amusement machine. The monk is reciting sacred mantras, so treat it with some respect. I like to imagine the prayers filling the room with goodness.

Bottomline:

This tiny device produces wonderful songs for a very small price.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections