Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Accidentally over amped it!

posted by fireofenergy on 07/16/2011
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

I wired up the XML to four 1.1 amp lifepo4's (in parallel). I solar charged 'em and wasn't paying attention when... all of a sudden, they shot up to 4.6 volts (1v too high!). I heard about the robustness of this XML and turned it on... anyways, to check the voltage drop through the .2 ohm resister. Sure enough, ohms law concluded 3.8 amps. There is no bluish tint typical of burned leds.

Cons:

There is a slight greenish tint around just the very edge of the cone of light, as can be seen with all of them in flashlights, when the battery is very low, but that is to be expected from the world's most efficient source.

It does not interfere with the quality of the light because the "edge" is such a small percent of the total.

Not a con.

OtherThoughts:

It dropped .76 volts across six 1.2 ohm quarter watt resisters all twisted together (to mimic a .2 ohm, 1.5 watt resister). .076 / .2 = 3.8A. It is heatsinked with thermal paste (from DX) to a long piece of 1 inch sq aluminum tube. Never gets, even warm.

But the resisters did in that mere 5 or so seconds (almost 3 watts, as heat alone)!

Bottomline:

The bottom line is to get these. They'll light up your room when driven direct at only 1.2 amps!

Thanks DX!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections