DX » Community » Reviews » 30X 21mm + 60X 12mm Jewelers Loupes/Magnifiers with LED Light & UV Money Detector (3*LR1130)
  • 5 star 6 ( 75% )
  • 4 star 2 ( 25% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Purchased for a Vetrinarian - works well

posted by Darrenm on 04/03/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- UV light works, shows up the hidden second photo on my drivers liscence that I hadn't know was there until I had a look at it with this. I was slightly concerned as the 'uv' wavelength from LEDs is only just in the uv range - but everything I have been expecting to flouresce has been lighting up as expected.

- White light works, but who really cares.

- the 30X magnifying glass is nice (the 60x is a bit more difficult to use and doesn't necessarily line up with the lights - but get one of the other mini microscopes if that is an issue for you).

- has a nice, solid feel to it, though don't be expecting gold plating for $3.80.

- The retracting lens is a good idea to protect it, and makes the package quite small and pocketable. Also lights only turn on when lens is fully extended - so saves batteries.

Cons:

- the only thing stopping the lens sliding out is friction, there is no catch or clip or anything. Though if there was, it would probably be just another thing to break...

- no other cons - it is solid (plastic yeah, obviosuly cheap, but not poor quality).

OtherThoughts:

Wouldn't mind seeing something similar with a larger magnifying glass. Would make the overall unit bigger, but it would be good. Maybe a 2 inch wide glass @ 10x to 20x magnification or somehting light that. I'd buy that too.

Bottomline:

I bought this for a Vetrinarian to use at work for checking for ring worms on animals (the ring worms flouresces under uv light). The uv lights they have previously used were the proper dark tube type, and very expensive (i.e. $100+) ones that always seem to have a issues with flat batteries. So I thought one of these would be worth a try. And it (the uv light) works! You should have seen the expression on my friends face when I gave it to her as she did the mental calculations on how much cheaper, and more useful this thing will be than the old alternative. Worth every penny. I just need to get an engraver to make sure no-one else nicks it!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections