• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great, if you know how to use it

posted by Drackar on 07/26/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Price point. There are very few wire saws that cut as well as this one does that I've tested around this price range.
    quality of construction. I've used this saw for several small projects in the last month and it's held up well.
    ease of storage and portability. I carry this in my backpack rolled up into a roughly 2x2 inch puch.

Cons:

Non removable handles. It's very hard to rig this up to a frame of any kind for more convenient use. I had to modify my saw by removing the included handles and slipping on key rings.
    Some memory problems from storage...the saw tends to have a wire coil from either how it was manufactured or how it is stored. Works fine once you apply a little tension, though.

OtherThoughts:

Wire saws don't work well in the way people seem to think you should use them. You can't wrap it around an object and cut through it. You have to keep the wire more or less strait...a slight curve is ok, but the more you curve the blade, the more it binds.
    Keep your arms spread wide apart, and push and pull with your back muscles and you can power through wood without kinking the saw, as long as you keep it strait. Follow your instinct to use a pulling motion with your arms and it will bind every time.

Bottomline:

Great for carrying around for the occasional small cut.
    Useful as a jig saw of sorts...drill a pilot hole in your lumber, slide through, after removing handles, apply ring, and you can cut in any direction.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections