Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month
1) Lightweight. Only one AA battery and little optics.
2) Works with NiMH accumulator, Alkaline AA battery, Li-Ion accumulator and even can work work with AAA battery but inside contact fails sometimes.
3) Built-in stabilizer that draws all energy from the power source and shuts down completely after that instead of continuesly dimming as the battery goes down.
4) Has two levels of light intesity and hardly useful blinking light. Intensity is lower by high frequency strobe (about 100 Hz) so no power is lost as in simple resister load regulators.
5) Has a focusing ability
6) Light angle can be adjusted from "into the sky" to "right on the nose" position.
1) Focusing is adjusted between laser-like beam and slightly wider beam. No flood light.
2) Optics is the most dissapointing part here. Some light is just lost in transfer from the LED to out lens. For example the most narrow beam don't give much better intensity as it loose more light than "flood" light adjustment.
3) The light goes up and down when walking a little bit as its fixation is rather primitive. Not a big con though.
It's the only one headlamp model on the date that works from a single AA battery and has a step-up DCDC logic inside. This DCDC controller instantly bring all this tasty features as emptiing the battery to the bottom, efficient light intensity regulation, accepting any voltage and battery technology and so on. I already consider this light as the best one for outdoor tracking, caving and so on, but better optics would have made it the one and only choice.
A continuous light power regulation will be useful for caves, when very little light is sufficient.
This light is electronically superior to other simple battery-resistor-LED lights. The internal DCDC step-up regulator brings in many features and simplicity of use. The optics is a clear drawback. If only the out lens could be placed closer to the LED a better flood light and efficiency would be archieved. So DX, hurry up and invent another lightweight light like this one with better optics.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.