DX » Community » Reviews » Single Channel Mini DVR Audio Video Recorder with SD Card Slot
  • 5 star 2 ( 50% )
  • 4 star 2 ( 50% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Quality for price.

posted by WpgCameraMan on 07/31/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Wide range of voltage input (5v USB to 30vdc).
    Native BNC twist-lock will never pull off.
    SD-size slot, not micro (fewer fumbled cards).
    Big buttons.
    GUI is words, not icons, easy, easy to learn.
    Record quality is on-par with VHS.

Cons:

Connectors and buttons on 3 sides, makes mounting and access a bit of an issue.
    OSD location for time stamp changes from record (live video out) to playback (SD content).
    Button labels a bit confusing.
    This should ship with a cable to power off USB.

OtherThoughts:

MPC didn't play the ASF files well, could be this particular PC, Windows Media Player did the job.
    Only real fixed connectors are on SDHC face. BNC are thinly soldered to a micro header. Buttons are soldered to underside of board, easy enough to bypass to a custom tactile strip. AV's & DC-in have through-holes in a row, this thing can hacked to another form-factor with ease.
    Audio on BNC is a bit of an odd-duck but included adapters are a nice touch.

Bottomline:

I shoot multi-camera interviews, connect to a quad video multiplexor and record using this PVR. Gives me a good-enough quality recording I can lay down in a suite and cut the Full HD footage. This small, idiot-proof box is a godsend to carting around an SD tape-based recorder.
    A bit pricy, I wouldn't be shocked if there were others equal or better elsewhere.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections