Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Small, handy and versatile pump

posted by lajoswinkler on 01/06/2013
    1 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

One of the things people immediately notice is how quiet this pump is. When underwater, there's hardly any buzzing sound, and it's low frequency.
    200 L/h means it can fill a 2 dcl glass in a matter of seconds, yet it doesn't give a violent stream which would cause problems to the DIY system in the case of overpressure. It uses a small impeller so if you block the vent, nothing will happen.

It comes with an air hose which uses the Venturi effect to suck in air, mix it with the water flow and expel air bubbles in the water. Therefore it can serve as both water pump and a mild water aerator, but also as a very weak air pump for creating a very weak stream of air through whatever you connect it to.

It's very small, lightweight and it looks reasonably sturdy for its price.

Cons:

Sometimes it does take ten or more seconds to start the flow, especially if there's some air in the system. It's because of the turbulence in the impeller chamber. It's not a true con because that's what these pumps usually work.

It would be convenient if the pump had an on/off button. You power it up by plugging it in the mains.

OtherThoughts:

Besides usage in small aquariums, this pump is absolutely perfect for recirculation of cooling water in laboratory coolers. Its small size enables you to use a small amount of cooling water and therefore save on water bills.
    You can submerse it in a convenient jar or large beaker and add ice whenever possible.

You can use it for DIY table fountains, too.

The pump is completely submersible, therefore only its power cable sticks out of the water. That's mildly unnerving, but I don't stick my hand into the water while it's plugged in, so the problem is solved. I've tested it for electrical leaks using a mains tester and there were no visible leaks. I'd still be cautious, just to be on the safe side.
    Bottomline, if you're very afraid of getting shocked by electricity, don't buy submersible pumps.

Bottomline:

This is exactly the kind of pump I needed. 3W @ 200L/h is exactly the kind of thing you need for small aquariums and various DIY projects that require water circulation.

• pump parts next to a centimetre ruler
    • pump impeller detail
    • pump label detail

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections