• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Bright and very solid

posted by juanjosan on 10/03/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Well built case, with strong anodized finish and precise construction. The body is correctlyl sealed with O-rings in all external joints. Body threads are also anodized.

Inside has a 5-mode drop-in module that outputs a impressive amount of light in the highest mode. Lower modes are obtained by switched regulation around 60Hz, so there is a little strobe effect, barely noticeable in real use.

Switched regulation helps improving battery life, and this batteries last a lot of time with this flashlight in the lower and medium modes. Highest mode is too bright for direct use on the night against near clear objects and will ruin your night vision.

Light color is very nice, a little bluish on the center of the beam and yellowish around the center.

Cons:

The drop-in has poor termal transfer to the body
    and will overheat when the light is on max brightness for more than 5 minutes. I fixed this with a small quantity of thermal grease and 3 21x27x1mm copper washers, the kind used as seal in hydraulic circuits around the drop-in lower part. I had to sand down a little the first one, but now it works at full power without overheating.

This needs to be made with care, because the washers are compressed between the module outer spring and the body, and may bend the reflector if pressed too much. A safer alternative can be some aluminium foil around the reflector, but I have not tested that method.

Strobe and sos modes are more an annoyance than a useful feature for me, but disabling them requires taking apart the led pill.

OtherThoughts:

Please flashlight manufacturers. Make strobe/sosmodes optional and easy to switch off.

Bottomline:

Good flashlight for the price.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections