DX » Community » Reviews » Romisen RC-C8 CREE Q5-WC 3-Mode 210-Lumen Convex Lens LED Flashlight (1*18650/2*CR123A/3*AAA)
  • 5 star 15 ( 75% )
  • 4 star 5 ( 25% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Watch out if you are using this on a bike

posted by kaltsas on 10/05/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

+ Build quality of the body is fantastic

+ Bright and compact

+ Great flood to throw adjustment

+ Some battery versatility (1x18650 or 3xAAA)

Cons:

- Plastic lens does not do it justice. There are significant transmittance losses and a generally unequal spot

- Used it once so far as a bicycle headlight on my 15km commute. Something is loose in there, as the torch would jump from high to low to strobe as the bike hit the road bumps. Didn't happen all the time, but it did happen. It can be the battery losing contact or the pill or some loosely soldered wire. Regardless, this may be a one off problem with my unit or a general issue. Anyone else?

OtherThoughts:

I did replace the lens with the 28mm glass convex SKU 5297 (and NOT 5927) as someone else suggested. It makes sense as the glass clearly transmits visibly more light compared to the standard plastic. However, I didn't find the focal characteristics of the 5297 very pleasing, since for a significant part of the flood-to-throw adjustment run (at least for the distance and throw one needs for a bicycle), it produced a very bright, clear and concentrated image of the LED with little light escaping in the flood. This makes for a very unequal, not very 'enlightening' and, frankly, quite distracting spot. I think I'll sacrifice some brightness and stick with the plastic lens until I figure out something else.

Bottomline:

Overall a very good, bright and well built flashlight, with lots of flood to throw adjustment. It needs some improvements, but I would buy again.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections