• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• UltraFire On The Cheap Is Great!

posted by zippyzappy on 04/16/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

I am very pleased with the color output. I was expecting greenish or something awful for the price. Greatly surprised!
    It has intense lumen ability. It plain smokes my $54 P3D-Q5 and all my older generation hand held LED lights except for my Magic Shine bike lights because of power source. Floody with a good hot spot. Small enough to fit in my pocket. Screw down bezel 'look' is cool. Solid with good machine threads and o-rings. Won't roll-off-the-table design.

Cons:

Next are the drawbacks to this light:
    1) The 'pill' is loose, loose, loose.
    1a) Fix by disassembling the pill from the reflector. Then apply thermal epoxy on pill threads and inside of reflector base. Tighten it all up and first issue solved.
    2) The reflector OD is .0125 inches smaller that the barrel of the light body. This air space causes poor heat transfer.
    2a) Fix by wrapping with copper tape or aluminum and use a small dab of heat sink compound when re-installing.
    3) The light body and the female threaded head are not one piece! They are 2 separate pieces glued together very nicely. You can only see this from looking down from the top to the light where the two parts join. Not a big deal but a really hot light may cause this glue to fail. So don't let the light get too hot.
    4) Not regulated.
    4a) Watch out to not overly discharge your Li-ion batteries.
    5) The strap is so small it will only fit a small to medium hand.

OtherThoughts:

Here is my set up and amps per mode-
    Battery: 20392 TrustFire Black Red
    Charger: 00936 DSD (A Good One!)
    Test Amps Fully Charged AND Probable Max Run Time (Recommend Only Running Your Batteries Down to 70%)
    High- 1.49A 1.6 hrs
    Med- .62A 3.8 hrs
    Low-.052 46 hrs
    Strobe-.73A
    SOS- 1.46A

Bottomline:

Really bright light. This new CREE is intense. I own a bunch of LED lights and this is a decent light out of the box. Especially when the heat transfer issues are resolved. It can be used without any of these fixes though. If you don't, only run for 2-3 minutes at a time for fear of smoking the XM-LT6 LED. If you are planning on using this as a bike light, it is not the best choice. It has the wrong beam pattern, IMO. Being left on unattended may cause a really short life too.
    Putting it in your pocket for night walks, great choice.
    Work use, pretty good choice. When hunting monsters, great choice.
    Grunion running, great choice.
    Blinding the crap out of someone, perfect choice.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections