Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Unique and attractive lighter

posted by sn2716057 on 05/30/2010
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- Solid construction

- Attractive design and faux wood grain

- Trigger activates lighter

- Hammers move (but have no function)

- Flame comes from metal "barrel"

- Blue "jet" flame

- Price

Cons:

- Plastic body

- Screws are prominent there are many (11)

- Obvious seams everywhere except barrel

- Hammers are just pull back and immediately spring forward when released (would have been cool if they locked in the back position and released when the trigger was pulled)

- Two "barrels" but only the top one emits a flame

OtherThoughts:

This is a really cool lighter. I can't yet speak to its durability, but seems like it would hold up well to repeated use. The fake wood grain looks nice, as does the pewter-colored metal, but the plastic body came with some nicks and blemishes around the seam. Speaking of which, the seams and screws are the biggest drawbacks on this product. While the hammers are basically just for show (though they do move), this is one of the few gun lighters that's actually activated by the trigger.

Interestingly enough, the safety warnings on the box are written in both English and German. The German looks fairly accurate (besides a typo), which, combined with the sturdy feel, makes me wonder if this was made in Germany instead of China.

This is model #1800. The box also shows a model #1700 that looks pretty neat too. That model has two hammers on one side and a fake scope on top. It strikes me as having more of a "steampunk" feel to it. Perhaps DX will carry it in the future too...

Bottomline:

For the price, the quality exceeded my expectations. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking to buy a lighter shaped like a small antique rifle/musket.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections