There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Ticking Right Along

posted by zerodgz on 07/30/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

At last, a cheap self-winding watch that doesn't have A) Fake non-moving parts like date and "tachymeter" parts that don't work, and B) it's stupidly ostentations, ridiculous looking, or proclaims to be a fake brand name watch.
    This self-winder is elegant, serviceable, and thus far mine has worked reliably and kept good enough time for a sub-$20 mechanical watch. The face is skeletonized (it's actually two pieces) and the movement is visible, including the mainspring -- so you can see how wound it is. The hands are inlaid with some glow in the dark material to aid in dark situations. Above all, all the numbers are present on the face and there are minute divisions between all of them, which the minute hand lines up with. Finally, no more avant garde watch face BS where only 12, 3, 6, and 9 are present or worse, watch faces where only 12 is shown.
    The band is nice, and the clasp is very secure.

Cons:

This watch shows the time only. There is no date display, no stopwatch, no AM/PM indicator, no light, no nothing. The numbers on the face are in Roman numerals, which will confuse people who can't figure out Roman numerals.
    No instructions whatsoever are included with the watch.

OtherThoughts:

Mine actually runs slightly fast; It adds roughly 30 seconds per 24 hours, which is not terrible (it's better than my considerably more expensive wind up pocketwatch) but is easily outclassed in that department by a cheap quartz watch.
    I still haven't gotten used to the fact that setting the time on this watch is backwards from every other mechanical watch I've ever owned: Turning the stem clockwise will move the minute hand COUNTER-clockwise. It seems to wind up only if you turn the stem correctly clockwise, though.
    The self-winding mechanism's pendulum is visible through the glass back of the watch. I cannot determine if it works or not, as no amount of wandering around or shaking the watch seems to affect the state of the mainspring.
    The watch back says that this watch is "water resistant," a claim in which I have a quaint, childlike faith. I have yet to test the water resistance of this watch, and if I were you I wouldn't try it.
    You can remove links from the band of this watch. Only the smaller, non-tapered links near the clasp can be removed, and there are arrows engraved on them to show which way to remove the pins.

Bottomline:

If you want a very affordable, classic mechanical men's watch (I can't overstate that this is a MEN'S watch -- the casing and face are huge!) that doesn't pretend to be a Rolex and isn't encrusted in fake gemstones and other nonsense, this seems to be it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections