• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Works well with Mac OS X and external hard drive

posted by MicrowaveDave on 03/06/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Works beautifully with Mac OS X, at full USB 2 speed. It is an extension cable, so if you add a standard USB A-B 2 metre cable you have a total of 7 metres of USB cable. It even worked well using a 2 metre extension cord and a 1 metre A-B cord for a total of 8 metres.

Cons:

The USB socket seemed to be very loose, and the plug kept falling out. After inspection I found two small problems:

1 There was some glue stuck inside the USB socket so when plugging something in, the plug was very loose. I was able to use a small screwdriver to scrape away the excess glue from inside the socket, allowing the USB plug to sit deeper in the socket (MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG THE CABLE FROM THE COMPUTER BEFORE TRYING THIS!!!).

2 On the USB socket of this cable, the six small metal tongues around the sides were very loose, so anything plugged into it had a tendancy to fall out. After using VERY LIGHT pressure from my finger nail to press the tongues in about half a millimetre on all sides, the plug now grips very tight. Make sure not to press the tongues in too far, or they will break or interfere with the USB plug when you attach it.

OtherThoughts:

It seems that the total length limit is 8 metres. When I tried adding an extra 2 metre extension cable (bringing the total length to 10 metres) the hard disk would not work. However, it is possible that adding 2 extension cords in a row reduces the signal. I don't have a single 5M USB A-B cord to test it with, but keep in mind that maybe trying to make a 9 or 10 metre total length USB cable is too long.

Bottomline:

VERY HAPPY! I have a hard disk based media box on the other side of the room, now I can copy files to it via USB without unplugging and bringing it to the computer.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections