• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• 5M USB Power-Boost Extension Cable

posted by Macalla on 06/05/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

Pretty good cable. It's the metallic shield, with clear coating type.

Casing of the 'booster' seems strong enough.

It needs no batteries or adapter, it uses the 5,5V of the USB cable itself.

Cons:

Connectors are a bit loose, but nothing too bad. A pair of pliers should do the trick.

You do get a little loss on the 5,5V. I have to use a powered HUB at the end of the cable, else my external HDD won't work. But the WLAN USB dongle I bought the cable(s) for works fine without a pHUB.

OtherThoughts:

Nice cable if you have to bridge a bit more distance than usual.

The WLAN USB dongle I bought the cable(s) for works fine without a pHUB, but for people who want to use it for power hungry devices.... beware, you probably gonna need a pHUB too.

Some people state in their review that they think the cable isn't really USB 2.0, but I think it (almost) is. There may be a little loss in speed, but not as much as to call it USB 1.1 or even 1.0. I tested with two cables and a pHUB at the end. The HDD I used is a 500GB WD Passport. I copied a 1.1GB file to the HDD. With the standard cable it took about 40 secs, with 2 extension cables 44.

Copying (1.3GB) from the USB drive to the internal drive gave a bit more lag; standard cable 45 secs, against 57 with two extensions. Not nice if you want to boot from it, but not a real problem if you just need it for storage. No problem at all for a webcam, printer, or WLAN dongle.

Bottomline:

I bought it because I need to get my WLAN USB dongle (SKU 20160) outside the building. Reception is terrible inside. First I tried with a long antenna cable, but it has too much loss. Now I get excellent reception, even with the standard antenna of the SKU 20160.

I'm very happy with my cables. If I had to buy them here I would have paid about 5 to 6 times as much, for virtually the same cables.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections