DX » Community » Reviews » Rodee AD-108 Lithium Battery Charger (for 18650/17670/14650/16340)
  • 5 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 4 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Strange charger

posted by mdocod on 04/18/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This unit does appear to actually terminate unlike many chargers available that float/trickle charge. The flip up tabs for RCR123 size cells are designed well, easy to flip up and load cells.

Cons:

Charge rate is below advertised 300mA. I measured 250mA per channel.

Painfully slow charging rate for large cells.

Charge voltage rises far above termination voltage.

Charge rate only ramps down slightly towards the end of the charge while charge voltage continues to climb above 4.25V.

Charge termination occurred with the cell charged to 4.25V, this is higher than I would recommend for cell cycle life and safety. On smaller cells, charge voltage (not talking about state of charge here) can reach 4.35V and higher (it is not out of the question for the charge to be terminated by the PCB in smaller cells on this charger).

Springs are flimsy, makes loading cells and keeping the springs straight difficult.

OtherThoughts:

This is one of the only budget chargers I have tested lately that does actually terminate and not float or trickle the cell. If one could find one that doesn't charge as high as my sample (I assume I got one on the far end of the bell curve here for charge termination) then this wouldn't be too awful bad of a charger. The charge voltage exceeding termination voltage goals may or may not be harmful to the cells. There are other chargers that use a similar method.

Bottomline:

Use a DMM to see if yours has acceptable termination voltages. Good luck with the springs for long cells.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections