DX » Community » Reviews » RC-C3 Cree LED Flashlight Black (1.3V~4V CR123A)
  • 5 star 8 ( 73% )
  • 4 star 3 ( 27% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice little torch

posted by kramer5150 on 06/29/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

-Cheap (very).

-Reliable simplicity if a twist cap, no clicky switch to fail.

-Very good DC-DC regulation.

-Good color tint.

-Durable, I dropped it a couple times on the concrete already and it scratched, but it still works fine.

-Smooth threads and firm O-ring engagements throughout.

-Aluminum reflector + glass lens

-Small & easily pocket-able.

-Splash/rain-proof (I have not submerged it however)

-Removable clip

-Tail stands

-Very good beam quality, from spot to flood, perfect for an EDC.

-Runs great with Primaries (65L) even greater on RCR123 (90L).

-You can adjust the head all the way out for lock-out mode, or just slightly turn it off for momentary forward activation.

-Boxed nice with bubble wrap from Romisen, would make a GREAT gift.

Cons:

-Gets warm fast on RCR123 cell.

-Low mode would have been really nice.

-Anodize coating seems a little fragile. There is an HA-III version for $21.

OtherThoughts:

WONDERFUL little torch. I love the simplicity of a twist-cap switch. No clickies to foul you up, fail, and leave you in the dark. I have a surefire 6P that is my main light on the job, but the robust switch design of the RC-C3 follows similar suit to the 6P, and is now my best EDC light.

I find that it works admirably with either RCR123 cell or Primary. On the RCR123 it emits about 90 Lumens, over a 40 minute span. With a Primary it spits out about 65 Lumens for about 90 minutes. So, depending on which cell you choose, you can custom taylor its output. 90 Lumens is nice, but I find that much light can blind the user when used in complete darkness.

Very nice beam quality with a smooth transition from spot to flood. Much better than my other Cree-based lights in this regard. Very good flood too.

Bottomline:

Great EDC. This light has replaced my Eveready 1AA (Target) and Ray-O-Vac Sportsman Extreme as my main EDC. The fact that it only costs $13 makes it a real winner.

You can have an OUTSTANDING budget setup running this light with the $6 Ultrafire 4-pack RCR123 and $12 Ultrafire peak-detect charger.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections