DX » Community » Reviews » Solar Powered Turn Table / Rotary Display (4 Panels)
  • 5 star 5 ( 36% )
  • 4 star 7 ( 50% )
  • 3 star 2 ( 14% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Solar Powered Turn Table - A gadget for gadgets

posted by LarzA on 10/31/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Thoroughly thought through design and solar panel placement.
    Optional battery powersource.

Cons:

The manifacturer should concider improving the balance with bearings and a broader central support of the disc and its additional placed mass.

OtherThoughts:

The unit can operate with about 300-500 grams of carefully centred mass. As long as the motor can overcome the inertia of your diplayed object, the unit should function properly while provided with sufficient lighting conditions.
    The mechanical noise increases proportional to the weight, and as such probably the mechanical tear as well. The solar panels need light from a standard fluorescent light covering 2-3 panels in order to operate the turn disc efficiently (around 300-500 lux per panel). My unit can rotate an object of 300g while positioned on a window ledge provided with ambient light from a clouded sky and the described fluorescent light.

Bottomline:

With respect to the price this unit performs better than I initially expected, however one needs to perfectly cenre the mass of the displyed object in order to achive rotation of heavier items. This should also be concidered while using lighter objects in order to increase the lifetime of the bearings and motor.
    My unit has been running continiously (with 300g of weight) during the last month without any noticable mechanical degradation.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections