DX » Community » Reviews » Goot Wick Soldering Remover (2.5mm x 1.5M)
  • 5 star 12 ( 55% )
  • 4 star 8 ( 36% )
  • 3 star 2 ( 9% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Really works great

posted by zmeios on 12/20/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I use desoldering braid a lot, mostly for SMT soldering work on fine electronics. I have used many brands. This particular SKU has worked even better for me than 'pro' quality stuff sold at serious distributor shops.

Perhaps the best thing about this wick is the quality of the flux. There is plenty of flux with the copper, and it is REALLY no-clean, unlike some of its chinese competitors (which do not seem to know the meaning of no-clean).

Cons:

If you use this a lot, you need to order several rolls, as 1.5m are less than they sound. And this doesn't normally apply to casual soldering iron users.

OtherThoughts:

For those of you who don't know what this is good for - there are many internet tutorials. Basically, you touch a soldered joint with the end of the wick; then you touch the wick with the iron; the wick transfers heat and then 'eats' most of the solder from the joint, due to capillary effect. You then just just the 'used up' end of the wick with regular scissors, and you can go on to the next joint.

Bottomline:

Very good quality, esp. the chemistry of the integral flux.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections