DX » Community » Reviews » Soldering Remover Ball - Color Assorted - Color Assorted (Large)
  • 5 star 18 ( 72% )
  • 4 star 7 ( 28% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Much better than a sponge!

posted by MicrowaveDave on 03/09/2009

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I saw this woolly looking ball of what looked like steel wool (it's not steel wool! Steel wool can burst into flames if you heat it so don't try to substitute it!) and ordered it purely out of curiosity. However now I'm hooked, it keeps my iron tips cleaner than before, and I don't get any heat loss from dipping the iron into a moist sponge. Tthe metallic coating actually sucks up the solder similar to de-soldering braid.

Cons:

It seems that this is a disposable commodity. A sponge can last for years because any dried solder can be scraped off and the underlying sponge will be fine. But this tip-cleaner actually soaks up the solder, similar to de-soldering braid which needs to be replaced often. I don't know yet how long this will last, but for the price and practicality it's worth buying a few as spares.

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

For thirty years I've been using a sponge to clean my soldering iron tip and never thought twice about it. Now I'm a convert.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections