• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great lights, poor battery holder

posted by JamesFerguson on 12/19/2007

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Great little lights. Bright, flash in all sorts of ways - slightly manic twinkling. Superb for portable use, e.g. on a bike.

Cons:

Battery holder / switch is rubbish. It's pretty much a 3 cell holder with a switch and a resistor. My resistor connection to the switch was detached, so with some very fiddly soldering I managed to reattach it. Still dind't work. With the help of a multimeter I realized the cell holders were not making contact. Had to bend th econnectors for the +ve end of the cells. It works, *now*.

OtherThoughts:

These are great, bright LEDs. When you turn it on they all start with the same complex pattern, but then drift out of phase. It seems every LED must have a little controller in it. Very cool. The RGB isn't very well balanced for brightness - red is much brighter, green least bright, so the overall effect is biased to red, then blue, then a little green and orange.

Since it's made for 4.5V, it should be possible to wire it up to a USB port at 5V. To do it properly, a different resistor should be used. DE should sell a USB version - save money on the shoddy battery pack.

Bottomline:

Cool lights, shoddy battery pack, good price, modification potential.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections