DX » Community » Reviews » Ultrathin Bluetooth Slide-Out Keyboard Hard Case for Iphone 4 - Black
  • 5 star 2 ( 67% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 33% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Cheap keyboard for some DIY hackery

posted by retroleum on 04/10/2012

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- Lightweight, but with solid construction.
    - Slider works well so far.
    - Keys have decent travel.
    - Soft touch covering on case and back very fingerprint resistant.
    - Easily disassembled.

Cons:

- Shift key must be held down instead of iOS style tap once operation. This makes common characters like exclamation points very annoying to type, as you have to hold shift with one hand and reach over with the other hand to press the 1/! key.
    - No nubs on F & J keys for touch typing.
    - No backlight (hard to see in darker conditions).
    - ALL glossy plastic components pick up fingerprints like crazy (including the keys and fake chrome).
    - The plastic chrome border looks and feels cheap in person (though it photographs well).
    - Construction isn't 100% flush and well-fitting (though there is no flex or creaking).

OtherThoughts:

I bought this hoping that I could remove the iPhone case and replace it with an iPod Touch compatible one. To that end, it's ideal, as the plastic instructions sheet on the iPhone tray peels off easily to reveal 4 screws that hold the case in place.

In use, it's decent, though not great. The keys click loudly and don't allow you type much faster than on the virtual keyboard. The shift key is very frustrating, as it requires you to hold down the key in use, making certain shift characters on the left side of the keyboard impossible to type with only the left hand. This REALLY slows down typing, so do NOT get it if speed is your goal. I got it for the extra screen area and convenience during extended typing, for which it beats out the virtual keyboard.

Bottomline:

A cheap, hack-friendly bluetooth keyboard. Don't expect much more than that!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections