DX » Community » Reviews » USB Cable via RJ45 Extender Set (Power Boost Up to 150 feet)
  • 5 star 6 ( 55% )
  • 4 star 4 ( 36% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 9% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Does what it says on the box

posted by qupada on 04/14/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

It beats standing in the server room disc jockeying. It's cold and noisy in there, warm and quiet at my desk. Tested over approximately 25 metres of in-wall network wiring plus two 1 metre patch cables, call it 85 feet, give or take.
    Less than half the price of any equivalent product I found on eBay.
    Completely transparent to the PC, so should support the box's claim of universal operating system compatibility.

Cons:

Like everyone else has mentioned, you're not going to get more than usb1.1 speeds. Copying from a USB flash drive I got exactly 1 megabyte (that's a real, non-lying 1048576 byte megabyte) per second. The packaging says "Hi-speed USB certified", but in context that means something more like "won't stop high-speed devices from working by letting them think they actually can work at 480Mbps"

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

If you're looking for lightning speeds, you're not going to get them. For installing software on a remote server (using rdp/ssh/vnc for the display) it's excellent.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections