There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• "Brighter than expected" mis-led me somewhat

posted by babhawk on 04/07/2009

Involvement:Novice (still getting used to it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

This flashlight is quite acceptable for the cost. As some reviers said, it's not too big or too small. I paid three times the price for a similar solar flashlight on a 'major internet site' for three times the price (which I've since returned). The light on that one seemed bright at first until you noticed that the brightness was due to the light being concentrated in one small spot with no spill. When you shined it on a white wall at night, it appeared bright (in a small spot), but as soon as you moved it to a dark object, the light virtually 'evaporated'. Thats NOT true with this sku 6821. It maintains a 'decent' brightness even when shined on darker objects. It also (now?) has 3 green led-type lights near the head which I don't know what they represent. Perhaps they're charge indicators, but of course, the flashlight came without directions.

Cons:

But despite the decent amount of light, my expectations of getting a BRIGHT flashlight was based on the reviews of others that said this flashlight was "brighter than expected". So, in anticipation, I was expecting something in the neighborhood of 75 lumens. In reality, my best guess is that it's about 15 lumens. It's all a matter of expectations due to reading the 'brighter than expected' reviews of others. In addition, other reviewers complained that the blue color made it look cheap. So I guess the manufacturer decided to change the color, and made it BLACK. Well, that color of plastic may be fine for sitting on a south-facing window sill in the North of England in Mid-February. But on a window sill in Southern California (where I live), in Mid-August, I am dubious as to what might happen to the black plastic casing. Even in late March when I'm writing this review, the housing is quite a bit warm after about 3 hours of direct sun in front of a south facing window. I actually expect, when I come home from work one day in August, to find a gooey mass of plastic dripping down my wall. A better color choice(since the color blue was not liked by others), would have been to change it to gunmetal gray or silver...to reflect the sun's heat. And yes, as the other reviews said, it won't hold a charge if taken away from direct sunlight.

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

As usual with other products from this website, for the price it's quite acceptable. But I see now that Dealextreme has just gotten in three new solar flashlights, so I'll wait for other 'brave' purchasers to write a review as to how well those new ones have worked-out.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections