Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Cheap and slow SSD for everyone!

posted by boober on 11/10/2010
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

At first, the price is adequate :) In Russia, retailers tries to charge me with fifteen bucks for this chip-free PCB with a pair of connectors. Here, now I have a fine-working device for any of my old CFs, and i can build a silent PC for a not-so-heavy application like GeeksBox or Freesco using, for example, a rarity card of 64MB only.
    Looks exactly like sku.10309 but $0.5 cheaper :)

Cons:

On heavy things like Windows, the speed is completely depending of your card's parameters. Either it has UDMA mode, or not, and what is the real R/W speeds of a chip inside - that is the reason why XP setup may take 3 hours. But on the VX Soc7 motherboard with P-100 running tiny Linux, everything looks OK. :)
    Power plug on the bottom side is some nonsense. I re-soldered it onto the board's top side using same holes, then just glued the PCB to PC's case with adhesive foam pad.
    Power from pin 20 mought be really possible... if there was pin 20 :) Board even has a Schottky diode soldered (that little black bug on photos) but IDE socket used has not that pin at all. Well, I'd never met a system that gived 5V on to IDE socket, so anyway the soldering would be necessary.

OtherThoughts:

I'll try to make something with activity LED - now it monitors average R/W activity, and I want to see the Read or Write direction in color :) If it's just real meaning the interface capabilities..

Bottomline:

A good and useful thing - I recommend it for everyone who really need it and understand what it really can do or not.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections