DX » Community » Reviews » Electrical Wire Testing Hooks (10-Pack)
  • 5 star 10 ( 53% )
  • 4 star 8 ( 42% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 5% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• didn't expect much but more flimsy than expected

posted by fivetrees on 11/09/2009

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

excellent price
    "good enough" to work in standard use
    small size for cramped PCBs

Cons:

Plastic is soft and thin. It bends and is slightly translucent. All the other clips of this type I've used over the years have been stiffer and more opaque.
    The spring is pretty soft. The grip isn't the best. It's usable but can slip off larger diameter leads, esp. clipped-off leads on the trace side of a PCB
    The contact is pretty much a thin copper wire (maybe 26 gauge?), not a copper strip, so it isn't very rigid.
    The lead end (where you connect the multimeter wire to the clip) doesn't offer a very good contact
    I wrapped the lead end with colored tape, since these only come in one color, but the plastic is so soft that even tightly wrapped tape can flex it out of round.
    I wouldn't use these for current measurements

OtherThoughts:

Bottomline:

The price is great. These will get the job done in many cases. I'm reasonably happy with this purchase, and may buy more someday, but I'm glad I have sturdier ones, too -- these will never be my whole assortment. I'd encourage you to try them. I just wanted you to have a better description of my impression, because even though I wasn't expecting much, these were flimsier than I had ever seen.
    Bottom line: at this price, you can't really lose

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections