• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Useful and a Good value. Get one!!

posted by clavius on 11/18/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Unit is pretty much just as described. It works great and has surprisingly good video for a 640x480 camera. Build quality is quite good with no obvious defects. Light level is adjustable with a knob on the USB plug. Has good close-up magnification, so it can be handy for use as a sort of microscope as well.

Cons:

This works great for close up stuff, it is only marginal as a pin-hole camera for longer distances. Though it will focus to infinity, this would make only a so-so spy-cam due to the 640x480 resolution. That is not really a "con" just a characteristic of the camera. for what it is designed for, it's quite good.
    The software works OK (on WIN7) and is pretty basic and unexciting. Pretty much any software that can use a standard webcam will recognize this camera. The software that came on my dell laptop can even be used with this camera. I use this with a free program called MICAM that can be downloaded from the web. I like it a bit better.

OtherThoughts:

I have found this really handy for things like reading the markings on IC's and SMD electronic components. My kids have had a ball with this poking it into spaces in the walls and behind things to find bugs and stuff. Would be fun to push this into a mouse hole or between rocks to find critters who live in there.

The USB plug is large, so is a bit in the way on a laptop. I simply plugged it into a cheap USB 12" extension cable. That gets the light adjustment away from the computer and makes it a bit more convenient.

Bottomline:

This is well worth the cost and has lots of interesting uses. I have not tried the "waterproof" feature of mine, though it looks to be well sealed and should work OK.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections