• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Excellent tiny micro SD card reader

posted by chronos00 on 01/31/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

you can use it to boot any OS installed on it, which means it is properly recognized by BIOS'es as a mass storage device.

I have tried a 16GB micro SD and not only it worked, but was aslo able to write at 6MB/s!

Works plug'n'play, as it should. Tested on Linux.

It should be obvious by now, but I need to mention it is REALLY small. The only part you will see is about 8mm outside the USB port.

Cons:

The slot for the micro SD card is too tight. You really need to push the card to fit it, and you'll worry not only about breaking the SD while fitting it, but also about how much will the card last sustaining that kind of pressure. So far it's been 3 weeks without any problems though.

Because of this lack of space, it severely scratches the surface of the micro SD card, and makes me worry if it won't eventually crack my SD.

Overall, the build quality is not great, but it is just enough.

OtherThoughts:

It could be seen as a con that you cannot remove the cord attached to the reader, but despite not being very nice, I find it useful to remove the reader from the USB port. If it wasn't for this cord, it can be hard to remove this reader from some new ports which are still tight.

Bottomline:

As other users said, this is unbelievable small. I use it as my every day key chain, and I don't even notice. It's great to have 16GB in your pocket, and have the additional possibility to read any other card you need!

Just in case you are still wondering, the micro SD slot is inside the USB plug. That means that the micro SD card would reside INSIDE of the USB port once pluged.

If you came across this product don't even stop to think about it. For this price, buy 2 or 3 without hesitating it. You will not regret it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections