Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Getting close to a 50W halogen

posted by trevbozo on 07/07/2011
    1 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

I have been buying more powerful LED's every time DX lists them. I started with the 3W candle, then the 4W, which wasn't bad, but less floody. Now this 5 watter is getting very close to the performance of a 50W halogen. I've replaced 2 50W halogens in a galley style kitchen with 3 of these 5 watters, and I now have more light in that area. The entire kitchen bench is well lit, with spill onto the surrounding cupboards. The diffusers work well to spread the light. Colour is a little cool, but I'll get used to it. Build seems good.

Cons:

No cons to report as I've only used them for a few hours, but I'm impressed enough to write a review already!

OtherThoughts:

When grouped in a smallish area, these lights are great. For a larger living area with only 4 or 6 lights, I'd be inclined to try the new 9 watters. These would work well in a long hallway, as they're more floody than other LED's, and will light the area more evenly.

Bottomline:

Still not at the brightness level of a 50W halogen, but close. If you're thinking of changing from 12V halogens to LED, throw away those troublesome transformers and give some of these a go. At ten bucks, they are certainly affordable enough to try, as opposed to the same thing for $50 in the Australian lighting shops.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections