• 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 8% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Works with Linux, but calibration needed?

posted by sanderj on 07/22/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Solid housing, OK price, works under Linux

lsusb ID is: "Bus 002 Device 025: ID 0c45:7401 Microdia".

I use it with the file pcsensor.c under Ubuntu Linux, and that works.

Cons:

The housing feels like metal. If it really is metal, that means temperature changes are delayed by the "warmth mass" of the metal.

So far, it doesn't work the python and perl modules I've found. It might be these modules are written for different hardware.

I'm quite sure the temperatures reported are a bit too high: about 2 -3 degrees Celsius. This is based on comparison with a normal thermometer, and on putting the TEMPer in a bowl with melting ice.
    I'm quite sure it is the TEMPer (and not the software) reporting too high temperatures. So this means some calibration / subtraction.
    Attention: I haven't tried the included Windows software, so maybe that software reports the correct temperature.

OtherThoughts:

I've bought a separate USB cable to put the TEMPer away from my laptop.

There are other USB temperature sensors that have a probe. If you need that, don't buy this device

Bottomline:

I think there are cheaper USB temperature sensors available on the Internet, but I like DX's reliability in service and delivery ... so, yes, I would buy this again.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections