Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Thermometer that just works

posted by PetrStk on 02/11/2013
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

It's a plug&play thing. Small, relatively cheap, very simple to use. Well built. The temperature reported is very precise, down to hundredths of degrees Celsius (like 24.48C).

Cons:

The reported temperature has an offset by 3-4 degrees so you need to calibrate it first with another thermometer. Interestingly, it shows higher temperature than real when used in MS Windows while in Linux (using pcsensor.c software) it reports lower temperature than the real one.

OtherThoughts:

I bought it for monitoring temperature in a server room so it's plugged into Debian Linux server. For a quick test the pcsensor can be run with the following options:

pcsensor -c -a 730 -l

The "730" is experimentally found out temperature offset (21.62C -> 24.48C).

Bottomline:

Even though I am able to buy a DS18B20 and solder a simple interface this TEMPer is ready to go immediately after unpacking. The only issue is to find out the temp offset. Try out my -a 730, perhaps it's universal?

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections