Customer’s impression:
Perfecto buena luz
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Great ligt, low beem too low, not too good battery

posted by hoffib on 08/23/2011
    6 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

It's an XML and bright as you might expect. The lamp is sealed with o-rings and I'd expect it to be waterproof. Glass lens, aluminum reflector.
    Pretty small size. Unfortunately that means worse heat transfer too. At room temperature and no air flow it gets to about 50C temperature in 5 minutes.
    XML led glued on. Proper heat transfer is to be expected.

Cons:

The battery is srink wrapped. Without further sealing it is not waterproof enough. The battery seems to have no pcb for protection.
    The charger outputs only 1A which means long charging times. It does not balance cells either. (Time for another charger and adding a balancing lead)
    Connectors have no lip like magicshine connectors and they are not as waterproof as magicshine connectors are. (They are compatible though although a tiny bit loose)
    Low mode is VERY low. I measured light output about 1/9 of the high mode at low. This is good enough to be seen, I'd prefer something like 33-50% at low beam. Full power is often too much when commuting and 10% low beam is not enough to see properly. I'll probably need to modify the light just because of this.
    I'd prefer a better mounting system than the o-rings. The foam is not too sticky either, probably needs adding a piece of rubber for better stability if the o-rings are not very tight on your handlebar.

OtherThoughts:

The beam is a spot, I'd estimate about 10 degrees or so. You might or might not prefer that.
    User interface is as simple as it can get. Click through all modes and finally it turns off. Turns on at high.
    Fits oversized bar (31.8mm).
    When the battery is connected the switch has dim green light. Unfortunately this will eat you battery if you leave it connected while not driving.

Bottomline:

Great light for the price but it need minor tweaking as expected. The extremely dim low beam is a huge con for me.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections