Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Solid performer

posted by jbabic on 07/27/2013
    5 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This is the bike light I use the most.

Lots of light, gets attention even in daylight.

Can be used as a bike light or as a headlamp.

Cord is a good length.

Battery capacity is good.

Cons:

Though very well done, this design is not perfect and has room for improvement.
    I wish for optics that better focus the light into a more useful pattern. For example, instead of a typical round flashlight pattern this should have optics that keep light down on the ground instead of blinding others coming towards you (I compensate for this by aiming my light down.)
    The handlebar bracket broke on mine. No big deal for me as I made a permanent mounting bracket.
    Battery packs have their limitations. When one cell fails, the entire pack is done. There are not many designs that allow individual cells to be swapped in the group. The discontinued Eastward YJ series were able to use individual cells - look them up here on DX.
    The hook and loop fastener strap is failing as the loops are coming loose and will soon be unable to hold the battery pack to my bike frame.

I think most consumers would think about paying a bit more for some improvements - some would, some would not.

OtherThoughts:

Mostly well sealed, with the exception of where the cable enters the light housing. This could be sealed, but perhaps this should ship already sealed.

A simple diffuser might better suit some riders.

If only this were to add a good sized rear light, it would make for a very useful bicycle lighting system.

Bottomline:

A very good light as it is. Here at DX last year I paid more for this light than what it is selling for now, and I still think it was a good value even at my original price. This is good news for anyone thinking about buying one. For this new lower price I would consider buying two, either to have more lighting on the bike or to have a spare.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections