• Am I using this wrong?

posted by shadowsill on 06/26/2009
    0 0

Involvement:Novice (still getting used to it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

-Not expensive.

-Scrapes solder.

Cons:

-Pretty poor build quality. The pictures make it look like a sturdy steel tool, but it's some kind of cheap aluminum, I think I could break it in two with one hand if I tried.

-Given the build quality, even at its low price, I feel like it was too expensive.

-Most importantly - the tip used to scrape is pretty hard and has no give to it - I think it's damaging my soldering iron tips, they have a very thin (nickel?) coating on them that keeps them from oxidizing, and they are not meant to be scratched at so hard.

OtherThoughts:

-I really don't know if I am using this right. I am using it to scrape solder off of soldering iron tips, because it is called a "soldering scraper tool", but I feel like it is not good for this purpose because it's damaging my tips. Other reviewers have used it for spreading solder and as a putty knife, I think these are good ideas, and that it would work well for these tasks.

Bottomline:

-I am too afraid to use it on my soldering iron tips.

-Despite the somewhat poor build quality, it's strong enough to work well in other tasks.

-If you are looking for something to remove solder from soldering iron tips, I would strongly recommend the brass sponge that DX also sells.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections