• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great value

posted by kramer5150 on 05/09/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

-Cheap... VERY Cheap. Its the same price as a AA Minimag Incan, and half the price of a 2D Mag Incan.

-Very bright, and a nice mix of throw and flood and a smooth transition between the two. As far as lumens & ceiling bounce tests go, its somewhere in between my DX11836 and DX6090 drop in modules, but closer to the 11836.

-Accepts DX/BOG shaped drop ins as well as standard Surefire P60L

-Tight fitting O-rings that are water tight all around. Those who lube well will be rewarded, those who don't will be punished.

-Glass Lens. Although its not removable, so if it cracks I think you'll just have to buy a new light.

-Lighter than my 6P, yet still feels solid. It doesn't feel as cheap as my Task Force.

-Switch-cap is air/water tight

-Decent heat-sinking

-Decently well machined, NO WHERE near as crudely machined as my Lowes Task Force. Almost on-par with my Nuwai lights.

-Decently smooth threads. Again not as smooth as Nuwai, and no where near as luxurious as a Surefire... but considerably cleaner cut than Lowes Task Force. Silicone grease works great.

-Reverse clicky pressure is just about right not too hard and not too soft and it works just fine out of the box.

-Water tight switch cap.

-9Volt Xenon module Accepts RCR123 as well as Primary cells.

Cons:

-Cells rattle a lot, although theres probably enough room for a single 17mm diameter cell. Others have commented that 18650 cell does not fit.

-OEM Xenon module has a LOT of scratches in the OP finish. This was a real bummer, and probably my biggest complaint. Theres literally patches of area where the metallic coating has been scraped off.

-Large spring on the Xenon module is cut very crudely. It gives a strange scraping kind of feel against the body as you tighten down the bezel. At first I thought it was the threads and O-ring, but its the spring on the module. This can be alleviated with a better quality drop in module.

-Strange texture finish around the bezel. Its finished like an old Vinyl record, with small grooves cut around it. IMHO they should have just left it smooth.

-The retaining ring in my switchcap had to be tightened a 1/2 turn, they should have done this at the factory.

-Window glass in the bezel is not water tight.

-Anti-roll bezel grooves are too small, so it will easily roll ff a table thats not flat.

-Mine came with a couple small scuff marks and scratches around the bezel. I was able to fix them with a sharpie pen, but that will probably wear off at some point. I know its free, but DX really should pack some of their shipments better. I for one would be willing to pay for it.

OtherThoughts:

I bought this light primarily as a host for my DX6090 module, and with that it excels. I took it out for a night-hike last night, along with my 6P-DX11836 and I was shocked that the Xenon WF501B could in many ways keep pace with the more expensive suref1re setup. Very good throw, that opens up nicely too some smooth flood at 35 yards.

I spent most of the evening bouncing back and forth between the OEM Xenon module and DX6090... I could be perfectly comfortable with either module in this light. The Xenon wins for color tint resolution. But looses to the 6090 for run time.

I do wish it could fit a single 18650 cell, although a 17mm diameter battery might work just as well. I'll have to try it, when I get an LED module suited for those lower voltages.

Bottomline:

Great value... Its $9!! thats the same price as a 2AA Incan MiniM@g.

Although the build quality could be better. Expect to spend some time tweeking things to get it just right. While still bright, the reflector should not have this many scratches in it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections