Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Wow-ser. Unexpectedly good

posted by grimgadget on 04/12/2012
    4 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Expecting a loosely bunged together throwaway, but this torch has unexpectedly exceeded all expectations. Having tired of using AA's on it, I chucked in a 14500 and it outshines my UniqueFire G10 CREE XP-G R5 1-Mode 350-Lumen. SKU 55244. And unlike the UniqueFire G10 (gotta run AA's on that now, for fear of burning it out), doesn't get close to warm. The heat dissapates because of the focal design. It's not compressed like the solid G10 and allows the air inbetween the pill and the terminal, with a bit of thermal paste there's more than enough room to manage the heat of the 14500. Grease the threads, clean the lens, tighten up the reflector to ensure enough room for the 14500 (the AA being slightly smaller) and off you go. And unlike the G10, it doesn't burn a hole in your hand after 10mins. Its focal flood is pretty passable, and its zoom is pretty effective, although on full zoom it does mimic the square shape of the Cree. Not a problem for me, the power with a 14500 more than compensates for that little minor nit-pick.

The focus mechanism rotates and is not a push-me, pull-me type, and I un-screwed the body and rotated it so the clip sits the other way. All works dandy. Buy one, and if you get a good one it'll be a pleasant surprise. No problems with this torch. Quality is good for the price. One of the cheaper Cree's and as I've already said, unexpectedly good.

Cons:

Isn't really waterproof, but I did take it out while it was bucketing down and no issues. Worked a treat. Though don't take it scuba diving without improving it. The 14500 cell does not immediately sit well until you screw the reflector in a bit more. But it's an easy cure.

The focussing ring is loose, but acceptable. This is probably the flashlights weakest point, a tightening up of tolerances, an extra seal around the ring too would see this become a real seller.

OtherThoughts:

Probably no good for scuba diving or extreme water sports, but come on guys, it's under $10, for crying out loud.

Bottomline:

What do you guys want for under $10. Wickedly bright light and fast becoming a favorite. And it's focusable. Buy one, no 14500 light runs cooler. The G10 is resigned to the cupboard for now. Great EDC for me.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections