Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Very versatile but pity about the styling

posted by sheepish on 03/08/2012
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

- Easy to operate, instructions are not required (perhaps apart from that you can use the aux cord as an aerial).
    - Lots of features: LED torch, FM radio (auto tuning with memory; it found 25 stations and remembered them all), auxiliary input (line and mic both work), MP3 playback from USB flash drive (8GB tested) or TF/microSD card (2GB tested), and a headphone socket.
    - Pretty good sound quality on headphones and through the speakers considering the size of them. The speakers don't sound tinny; the bass is pretty reasonable. The centre speaker appears to be a passive radiator, so that presumably helps.
    - Impressive volume from such a small thing. Using my laptop as an auxiliary source, it's louder than the laptop, so this gadget can function as an external computer speaker.
    - Backlit red display is easy to read unless it has direct sunlight on it, and then only needs the shadow from a hand to be readable.
    - Red LED shows it's charging. (I don't know how long it'll take.)
    - Came with a black disc floating around the battery compartment which is a stand that fits in a slot in the back next to the battery compartment. A coin also does the job, even if it's too thin to stay in the slot by itself.
    - If playing an MP3 file and you change to another input, when you get back to the MP3 file it remembers where in the song you were.

Cons:

- It's yellow. The yellow is paint. Under the yellow paint the plastic is pink (even worse than pale yellow).
    - Styling is a bit weird with a strange shape. I can't see any point to it.
    - The label over the LCD screen spontaneously fell off as I was putting in the battery. I pushed the label back on and it seems to have stuck this time.
    - The battery says 400mAh on it, not the 800mAh shown in the photo or the 600mAh in the description.
    - The battery didn't read any voltage when it arrived. After a while (three hours?) of charging and being used it was 4.62V, and dropped to 4.53V after a few seconds using the radio and LED light. 4.62V for a Li-ion battery?!? That sounds like a recipe for a BANG!
    - I don't have any good ideas about what to do with the black disc stand when it's not in use. The disc has a hole in the middle but there's nowhere to store it in or on the gadget now that the battery compartment has a battery in it.
    - No SD card slot.

OtherThoughts:

- USB power cord and 3.5mm stereo auxiliary cord both included.
    - Needed the aux cable as an aerial for tuning (auto tuned with a push of the play button). The reception wasn't as good without it, and sometimes dropped out completely depending on how I held the gadget, but it did still work most of the time.
    - There are a couple of holes in the side near the torch end that I presume are for a wrist strap. There was no strap included.
    - The disc stand has "MUSIC WITH ME" written on it.

Bottomline:

Depending on the particular features wanted there are less expensive MP3 players that are smaller and look nicer, but this one is probably one of the most versatile available. Overall it's quite impressive. Pity about the styling and colour though. And that battery charging is a real worry.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections