• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good SDR radio, bad TV receiver

posted by slePP on 10/15/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

I picked one of these up with the dual purpose of a wideband radio receiver using RTL-SDR, which it works very well for. The SNR is a bit high, but that's to be expected for something like this.
    I also wanted to use it when I wasn't playing with radios for television, but have yet to actually get it to show any channels at all in my area (I have 5 channels nearby).
    The included software is, for once, not bad.

Cons:

The antenna connector isn't all that easy to find if you wanted to attach some other antenna. The included antenna is really optimized for the higher frequency stuff and won't do well for the VHF channels.
    Included software won't let you add manual frequency entries for channels, it will only scan to find them (which doesn't work with weak signals).

OtherThoughts:

Keep in the mind the noise level is high when being used as a general purpose receiver.

Bottomline:

If you want to try our SDR, grab one. For actual TV watching, perhaps look around, or find a better antenna.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections