DX  » Community » Reviews » Black Parking Sensor/Radar Kit (DC 12V~24V)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Good product, great price – Black Parking Sensor/Radar Kit (DC 12V~24V) Reviews

posted by lejige on 01/18/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
The device is sufficiently sensitive that it picks up obstacles easily (sometimes too easily); Looking at the product photos, I thought that the LED Display panel would be bulky and make an ugly addition to my car's dashboard. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was small to be unobtrusive. The sensors seem sturdy enough to stand bumpy rides and the elements. - The distance sensor is quite accurate. It will detect distance from about 2.5 meters down to 30cm.
Cons:
- The sensors' wires are not long enough for my big car that I had to locate the main console somewhere behind the front seat. The version I received had the speaker built-in inside the main console so I needed to pick just the right location for it so that the beeps would be audible. Having short wires made the task a bit of a challenge. - The sensors will not detect distance within a foot (30cm) and it will indicate zero distance. It would be more useful if it could detect smaller distances up to maybe 10cm. But that's not a major complaint. - The device has 4 sensors but it will only indicate left and right, that is, you'll not get a sense of the obstacle's location if it's in the middle. It will still display as left or right.
Other:
The version I received is not paintable, as far as I can test. Well, I didn't paint the sensors directly but I wrapped them in clear plastic and sprayed a very thin coat of paint. Thereafter, the sensor became blind.
Bottomline:
This is a very useful product, easy to install but only if you have the aptitude for it and know your way around power tools and electrical car wiring.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections