DX  » Community » Reviews » Digimate DVR Video Player+Recorder Hard Disk Enclosure
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
pretty good all in all – Digimate DVR Video Player+Recorder Hard Disk Enclosure Reviews

posted by reg66 on 04/30/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
also plays video_ts files (menus within the file aren't useable, but select the main play file). waiting on an adapter to try the record facility, but someone's left details below. have tried using (takes sata/sataII only) 40GB samsung spinpoint, 320GB seagate barracuda, 500GB samsung spinpoint - all work fine (no partions 100% fat32 using swissknife - google it, really fast and simple program.)

picture quality's fine n dandy

no audio/video out of sync problems

runs cool - even with the fan disconnected (though i'm not encouraging this)

better than buying one with a hdd already installed (choose a nice quiet and fast hdd etc, rather than just 'some drive' in it)

easy to put together - black side strips off, couple of screws out (fan end), slide the interior out, slot in new sata (no extra cables needed) and screw down. reassemble.
Cons:
not really a con but thought i'd mention - doesn't play iso's or variations of (i never expected it to though)

mine's got teeny connection problem somewhere - if i move the thing to my pc for data transfer, then plug it back in to tv sometimes it gives 'system malfunction...'. the slightest tap on the front end (when it's off) and restart and all is fine.

menu sometimes crashes when flicking in an unconventional way, but everything seems fine when used in normal stages i.e. after locating a file, use the arrows to navigate back through the various menu's rather than just 'exit' to main window.

no sign of firmware upgrade yet - for this one or any variations of.

fan's a little noisy for my liking (only really noticeable before you start playing a film or music and can be unplugged - do so at your own risk)

doesn't play sdhc

doesn't play mp4 files

slight 'hum' through speakers or tv, but not noticeable once films etc are playing. (could easily be my tv though - speakers coming from tv as source)

remote design is back to front, the curved end should sit in your hand - no biggy though
Other:
have googled and looked at a lot of these players and or recorders. there are a few of variations in manufacturer using this case and have read pretty poor things, i think this is the best option for the cash. it seems non of the available players yet have a decent menu system/user friendly remote/real quality feel, unless you think about spending 3-4 times the price of this one. it's early days for this type of thing, so there's still plenty of room for improvement, but that's the same across the board which ever one you go for.

only recommend using 'file' to navigate, other options are pretty pants
Bottomline:
a bit buggy, but then they all seem to be in one way or another. for an external back up hard drive with the added bonus of watching films etc or recording it's great

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections