DX  » Community » Reviews » Replacement Housing Case for NDS Lite (Translucent Black)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
great value – Replacement Housing Case for NDS Lite (Translucent Black) Reviews

posted by regomatic on 10/05/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
It's the cheapest clear case around, even when comparing to ebay. It's not a bad fit either. It's not as bad as the cheap stuff on ebay, and it's as good as the best stuff that I have used from ebay. It takes me around 1 hour to do a case replacement, I have probably done about 5-10 case replacement this year for the ds lite. My first case replacement took me nearly 3 hours and I broke the mic wire it was cut between the top screen and the plastic case. this is a coaxial wire... you cannot resolder it back together. Gradually I broke less and sped up the process. Yesterday I did a case replacement in 54 mins. Fortunately I have alot of spare parts laying around. I prefer to use OEM peices as much as possible. Sometime I frankinstein a DS lite together from spareparts, it's always fun.
Cons:
Parts don't fit like OEM, but you cannot expect it to at this price. You should feel that way OEM top pieces fit first. It feels nice and smooth. You won't get this feeling here. I have used some other cheapo cases and it's alot worst, I spend even more time shaving off more plastic with my dremel, so spending a few more dollars save me a little more time. I bought a 12$ case on ebay once, very bad. I bought a 30$ case from ebay and it's about the same stuff from DE. first thing I do is inspect the new case, using exacto, sometime dremel, I go ahead and smooth out the rough spots and extra plastic that is left from the mold. I only do it places that matters, like where parts slides to close together like the top. The screen cover that is concluded with the kit is crap, so I just use the original. The metal piece that bridge the GBA game slot is weak, so i remove those too and replace with OEM. The hinge cap on the right side where the power LED is doesn't have a clear LED plastic, so you will have to transfer it from your old DS. There are 2 different versions of this, If you have an older DS, the LED clear plastic may not fit! YOu may have to revert back to using your old DS bottom or live without the LED clear plastic. Also using a small drill, very small, I drill the holes in the bottom casing where the Y screws goes in. Reason is that there is too much plastic and you can strip the Y screw due to large force screwing this in. Other screws seems to be ok without drilling.
Other:
If you are doing this because you broke a hinge, and have never done this before, it's better to just sell your broken DS on Ebay and buy a new DS lite. you can get 50-60 bucks if everything still working, that's halfway to a new DS lite. If you are a modder, then you are going to do this away.
Bottomline:
Case replacement is not easy. As a noob, you are more likely to break off the power switch, the volume switch, loosing the L+R spring, damage the small speaker/wireless/mic wires. .. I know I have.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections