DX  » Community » Reviews » 4-in-1 Full Range FM Transmitter MP3 Player with IR Remote (SD/MMC/MP3/USB/3.5mm)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 4
Very Nice – 3-in-1 Full Range FM Transmitter MP3 Player with IR Remote (SD/MMC/MP3/USB/3.5mm) Reviews

posted by Reeka on 05/03/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
This is great if you have a vehicle that lacks an mp3 input, which is why I bought it. I've thus far used the SD card and line input, both of which work fine. The transmitter is strong and pretty clear, with good sound. So far I've figured out that it has shuffle (hold down the play button until 'S' shows), which is what I was hoping for.
Cons:
A few, unfortunately.

- you cannot rewind or fast forward through a track, which isn't too big a deal. But you also can't rewind to the beginning of a track if you want to hear it again. I tried that and it went to a different track (had it on shuffle). I assume that when not on shuffle, it'll go to the track prior to the one you were listening to.

- the remote has its own volume control, but if you turn it all the way up you'll hear a LOT of static. At first I thought it was the transmitter having problems with the station, but when I turned down the transmitter volume it went away. So you probably won't be able to play it as loud as it can be set, but you can still turn up your radio.

- With shuffle on, it doesn't keep track of what has been played, so you may find yourself skipping over tracks you just listened to.
Other:
As stated by others, when you turn off and then on your vehicle, the last track that was played starts from the beginning. This isn't really a big deal for me, though I wouldn't recommend this for audio books.

The device is also MUCH smaller than I thought it'd be. This is fine for me, as I'm less worried about having to place it out of view when I get out the car. It's very unobtrusive, and actually kinda cute for its size.

Manual handling while driving is simple. The buttons are clear and you can feel for them without having to look down from the road.

The unfornate part is that while the screen is very bright and readable, the transmitter's position in your vehicle will more than likely keep you from being able to read the information while driving. But unless you're anal about reading track information, this shouldn't be much of an issue.

Also, the head is adjustable, which was unexpected, and not at all loose.

The remote isn't a bad deal. When using as SD card, and probably with a memory stick, if you know what number the track is that you wish to hear, you can find it (ex. track 12/150). And if you have a tendency to relax in your car, perhaps in the back seat, it can be convenient. While driving you don't really need it, but it's still not bad to have.
Bottomline:
This is a very nifty device, and for the price you can't beat it. FM transmitters in the US run around $50, so $15 for this is a steal. Despite missing out on some somewhat basic control options (RE, FF), it's not bad at all. If I had to choose I'd rather the shuffle option.

I compared a lot of the FM transmitters on this site before making my final choice. I can honestly say I'm happy with my purchase. Aside from the "cons" (which really aren't that bad, but worth noting), it's a great device to suit your needs.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections