DX  » Community » Reviews » Travel All-in-One Universal AC Adapter with USB Power
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 2
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 1
  • Ease Of Use: 2
  • Usefulness: 4
Too Complex - Easily Broken – Travel All-in-One Universal AC Adapter with USB Power Reviews

posted by Festus on 04/20/2010 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
Does (nearly?) every socket conversion and provides a USB output. Reasonably compact though not all that small compared with some other designs available at DX. Sliders with pop-out pins seem convenient and clever.
Cons:
Multiple sliders for the pins requires a series of internal lock-out sleeves to prevent pin conflicts. All these fiddly internal bits are packed in like a Swiss watch, but aren't as well made, so they can get messed up. The result isn't easy to fix unless you have 6 hands. Also the USB adaptor has pins that lock onto the main section. These sometimes refuse to release. Mine broke the tips off and now my USB adaptor slips out - needs a rubber band to hold it in.
Other:
There are better designs (sku.18126 and 2296) for compact international adaptors both with and without the USB outlet. I can vouch for the non-USB sku.2296 - much more compact and robust, and I'm ordering the USB capable sku.18126 as a second adapter.
Bottomline:
Not worth it even though it isn't very expensive. I sort of repaired mine enough to keep it functioning, but tossed it out once I got home.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections