View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
shows OK digital signals up to 100 Mhz, menu quite intuitive – UNI-T UTD2052CL 7.0" LCD 50MHz Digital Oscilloscope Reviews

posted by 2yseee on 12/25/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
shows OK up to 100 Mhz digital signals, menu is quite intuitive (though reading the booklet is a must for some functions). The PrtScr button is a very quick way to get screen snapshot (settings values are shown nicely in same snapshot).
Cons:
1. The PC connection is not functioning at all: It came with CD with Chinese letters in file name, failed to install. I downloaded the app from UNI-T site, it opened, even showed the scope is connected, but nothing functioned (except a few knobs that turned around by my mouse - the rest stayed grey). Note it prevented me from verifying memory depth (cannot get the recorded signal into a file to check the ability to post-process) 2. The screen is stated as 800x480 pixels. The snapshot provides a 400x240 BMP file. I suspect that the system resolution is half of the actual display and of the promise in spec. (probably memory / SW lack of support ?) 3. A few more minor "expectation gaps" found comparing the user manual to the scope (e.g. missing "Video" "ALT trig" and "EXT/5" options in trigger menu)
Other:
[ FYI The Model and version I checked is UTD2052CL, HW ver 2.00 , SW ver 1.09 ] 4. For a person used to work with top of line D.S.O's, main feature I miss here is smarter trigger (especially smart pre-trigger chain, e.g. rise at channel 1, delay or events of of at least ... , and another rise on same channel) note that real power is achieved with 2nd channel and 2nd trigger level - requires more HW, maybe some improvements could be added just in SW) 5. BTW I want to believe PC SW issue will be resolved. But if one builds expectations, then note that the SW offers only manual operation via GUI (mouse +KBD), while the "ultimate" testing needs the ability to access the PC SW from your own tester program (through FTP / ActiveX / ect...)
Bottomline:
At the time being, I believe it is the best standalone scope for its price, especially if you just want to see signals up to ~100Mhz and do not really need more than keeping snapshots of the screen.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections