DX  » Community » Reviews » TP-LINK TL-WR702N Mini Portable 150M 802.11n Wi-Fi Wireless Router - Green
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Small and useful, but stuck with Chinese interface – TP-LINK TL-WR702N Mini Portable 150M 802.11n Wi-Fi Wireless Router - Green Reviews

posted by vilarcamaraneto on 12/17/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
* Smaller than I thought; * Supports client/repeater modes, i.e., can be configured to extend a wired/wireless network (that's why I bought it); * Can use any USB powered port to work (I plugged it to the service USB port of my TV receiver); * Easy to configure: after a few steps it is up with my not-so-conventional setup (wireless client).
Cons:
If you are a non-Chinese speaker, then both the interface and the manual are uninteligible. Cannot upgrade the firmware to English (see Other Thoughts). There is an english manual online, but instructions are a bit different, particularly the device+PC static IPs.
Other:
I tried to update the chinese firmware with the english one (which oddly requires that I install a TFTP server on my PC), but the latter was refused because of language incompatibilities. So, we are stuck with the stock chinese FW. Advice: Try to follow the pictures of the Chinese quick-install guide.
Bottomline:
Think of it as a magic device to transform any Ethernet-ready gadget into a wireless one (printers, TVs, etc.)

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections