DX  » Community » Reviews » Cree Q3 WC 1-Mode 180LM 1-LED White Light Flashlight with Strap - Black (1 x 14500)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 5
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
My favorite flashlight – Cree Q3 WC 1-Mode 180LM 1-LED White Light Flashlight with Strap - Black (1 x 14500) Reviews

posted by Aflipz on 03/28/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:
At least as bright, if not brighter than any CR123A flashlight I have ever owned... This tiny little flashlight does it all from huge flood lighting to a TIGHT little beam that throws light at distances that are quite amazing for a light this compact! Should you ever run out of 14500 lithium 3.6-3.7v cells, it WILL produce decent light (nowhere near as much but still quite usable..) from normal 1.2-1.5v AA cells.
Cons:
Cons... well, if I must be picky; the zoom-sliding mechanism doesn't seem all that water-resistant and is a little on the loose side. (this is where it lost a SINGLE quality star, everything else is perfect) BUT, that doesn't mean it's fragile mine has already been through a lot and is operating flawlessly. It gets warm, it COULD have a second ''medium'' mode to mitigate this during extended use. But I'd rather a manage a single awesomely powerful mode than be plagued with tripping over a bunch of useless strobes and SOS modes... Just use it sparingly and it will last long and not get too hot that's all... It can still light continuously over 15 minutes without any issues it just gets warm...
Other:
I like it a LOT better than the other 14500/18650 zooming lights I bought here (which had shark in the name...) anyway, this one is much better; it has a wider zoom range so it can spread light better up close and zoom in on objects farther away and if you think this one's zoom mechanism is sloppy wait until you try the other guy's... also, I have a much more powerful 18650 flashlight I bought from here (raysoon rs-v8) and this smaller Q3 puts it to shame particularly when it comes to throwing light over long distance.
Bottomline:
This is an incredible value. I ordered more... I would absolutely not hesitate to recommend it. Given the size of the light and it's limited power supply, it isn't ideal for extended use; it's more suited to spot something quick than to light your way through a long hike... However it will serve great purpose as a short-term ''high beam'' that serves both for close range, wide area illumination and throwing light precisely over long distances. I must be getting about 30-35 minutes out of 14500 lithiums, using the light a few minute at a time here and there.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections