View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 5
  • Usefulness: 5
fast/strong fan, keeps the wii icey! – USB Powered Cooling Fan for Wii Console Reviews

posted by ReonEclipse on 10/08/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
-easy to use, just plug it in and your good to go (it says you need to unplug your wii but thats just a load of bull, i stuck mine in while my sis was playing paper mario)
-keeps wii really cool, fan spins fast!
-stays on while wii is on standby (orange led) so i don't have to worry about connect24 overheating my wii.
-turns off when wii is off (red led)
-can still use the 2 usb ports just fine (for charging things etc)
-looks good on my wii, not that i can really see it. it matches the wii surface
-plastic quality is pretty good for this price
-the sound of the air is about the same as a PC fan (don't notice it at all during gameplay) (see cons)
Cons:
OKAY! the one thing about this fan is its TOO fast for its own good (the little thing thing can't absorb the fans vibration)... When you first plug in the fan it takes about 15-20 seconds to reach its max rpm (rotations per minute). at first you put your hand and your like "wow this is pretty good air and its quite!", but don't be fooled. wait another 10 sec and you'll start hearing a buzzing sound, it only gets louder! once the fan maxes out you get a constant BZZZZZZZZZ, or NNNNNNN if you try to stabilize it. So far Ive tried putting pressure to keep it quite but it only gets louder, but i found that on the contrary, keeping about 1mm distance between the wii and the fan drastically decreases the sound BUT its still very noticeable. I will probably open it up and try to mess with it to see if i can get the fan spinning slower.
Other:
-not worth RMA'ing it for this price, ill just fiddle with it or put some clay in it to absorb the vibrations :p
-I am still satisfied with it. even though its loud, but thats because My wii is inside a cupboard type thing so i can just close the door and i cant even hear it much.
Bottomline:
-if your wii is in a closed area that can muffle the sound then get this, it will keep the wii cool without fail!
-if your wii is like under your TV in the open then don't get this unless you plan to mod it or you cant hear shit anyways.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections