View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 4
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 4
A upgrade, perhaps? – Power 3.3V / 5V Supply Module for MB102 Bread Board Reviews

posted by milliwhat on 06/01/2012 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
What I got was rather different to what's in the photo here. Perhaps you will too. I've uploaded pics, but they're taking ages to show up. But I think it might be an upgrade. Essentially, it's the same thing, a breadboard-able power supply. The input is via a barrel connector, as here, and also via a USB socket. The placement of the output pins is the same, meaning it is a good match with http://dx.com/p/solderless-breadboard-with-400-tie-point-white-121534 as it plugs right into the power rails on those sized boards. Those pins are in two groups each, which might make it more stable than the one shown above. It also has pins on top of the board, could be very handy. It has an on-off toggle switch, and an LED. But the major pro is that the board can do both 5v and 3.3v at the same time, supplied to each of the two rails. You can select the voltage for each rail independently, using jumpers. The USB socket is a female type A, ideal for powering any USB gadget.
Cons:
The USB socket is a female A, the same as you would find on your computer. So to power it *from* the computer, you will need a cable with a male A on both ends, or an adaptor. Don't use both at the same time! The board is a bit bigger- it lacks the cutaway section, so it covers up more of your breadboard.
Other:
The one I got should also handle 700mA. The voltage regulators (AMS 117) are rated for more, but it is highly dependent on heat-sinking, and these don't have much. Not a problem for most electronics projects. Input voltage range should be the same too. I'll mainly use it with a rechargeable battery pack.
Bottomline:
This is a great for when you need to prototype something quickly, especially if you need dual-voltages. Some microcontrollers need 5v, but a lot of external ICs will want 3.3v. Or you might have a lower power microcontroller, but wanting to power a white LED requiring more power.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections