DX  » Community » Reviews » Stereo MP3 Digital Recorder with Voice Activated Recording(1GB)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 5
  • Quality: 5
  • Ease Of Use: 4
  • Usefulness: 5
Good Voice Recorder – Stereo MP3 Digital Recorder with Voice Activated Recording(1GB) Reviews

posted by wiccan-two on 08/28/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
This recorder can record up to 68 hours on short play from what I have deciphered from the manual, the device is fairly easy to use and can record telephone calls easily.
It has a nice feature allowing you to start recording when sound is detected, very useful for recording phone calls. It provides a good sound quality from internal microphone and the external microphone may come in useful for recording interviews, etc.
The device is detected by my computer as mass storage device, this is helpful for me as I use Linux and other devices such as the Olympus ones sold in Argos here in the UK use a propitiatory driver that is limited to windows only.
The device has an overall good build quality and looks like it will last for some time.
Cons:
One of the main cons is it only comes with a Chinese manual and I had to figure out how to control it by just pressing the buttons.
Uses the *.act file format for long play which requires a converter to actually do anything useful with the recording like editing or even playing it, found the converter using google and the *.act file can be played with VLC media player.
Short play uses a weird encoding for the *.wav file and to be edited it needs to be run through a program called sox, available from source forge. To use it simply type “sox <inputfile.wav> <outputfile.wav> into a command prompt or terminal on Linux and the output file should be able to be edited by audacity. This program was already installed in my Linux distribution and it was on a forum I found through Google that I learned it could be used for this, other than that I have no idea what it can do.
Other:
Operating Instructions
Menu: Switches between MP3 playback and Recording Modes
Play/Pause: Plays selected file
Play/Pause(short hold): Stops play back of selected file
Play/Pause(long hold): Turns the device On and Off
Next: Skips to next file
Previous: Skips to previous file
Vol + (MP3 Mode & Recording Mode Playback): Increases volume
Vol + (Recording Mode): Changes between SP, LP, SP VOR, LP VOR
Vol - (MP3 Mode & Recording Mode Playback): Decreases volume
Vol - (Recording Mode): Changes between SP, LP, SP VOR, LP VOR
Delete (hold, Recording Mode): Asks if you want to delete the file
Play/Pause (Delete Mode): Confirms deletion of file
Hold Switch: When slid up locks the devices buttons, slid down to unlock buttons
From what I can tell SP VOR and LP VOR are the modes for recording when sound is detected
Hope this information can help some people out there understand how to use this device.
Bottomline:
Good recorder for every day use, will come in handy next month when I go to university.
Not sure what else I can say about this device but I need to make up the 500 word count for the review, I will post my pictures of the device later.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections