DX  » Community » Reviews » IR Remote Controlled AC Outlet for Appliances (220V)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 5
Great little device – IR Remote Controlled AC Outlet for Appliances (220V) Reviews

posted by dscordia on 03/16/2013 Certified Owner

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:
Works just as described. Very sensitive IR receiver. Very hackable, see bottomline.
Cons:
Probably not up to UL or CE certification, ungrounded (ground plug on front surface is not connected), US plug only.
Other:
Instructions to learn and erase IR codes are detailed here - many thanks to OP: http://club.dx.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.520046
Bottomline:
I took mine apart to use as a general purpose DIY IR switch (low voltage only, not as an outlet switch). I made it into a remote controlled PC power button. To do this, remove the voltage regulator in the lower right corner of the pcb and the relay in the upper left corner, run 5v and ground into the appropriate contacts where the VR was. The left bottom contact where the relay used to be connects to ground when the IR circuit switches on. You can connect the hot lead of a PC's power switch to this contact and the PC will turn on/off when you activate+deactivate the IR switch.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections