DX  » Community » Reviews » TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650)
View all reviews of this product

2 DXPoints earned for this post

write a review, and get DXPoints

• Overall Rating: 4
  • Price: 4
  • Quality: 3
  • Ease Of Use: 3
  • Usefulness: 4
A Good Light ... With Issues – TrustFire TR-801 Cree Q5-WC 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*18650) Reviews

posted by BrorJace on 08/02/2008 Certified Owner

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:
Bright light ... really nice workmanship. Looking this light over, it would not surprise me it was made by Romisen. The fit 'n finish are THAT good. I love the stainless steel band and the front threads, they are a nice touch.
Very compact for a light taking a 18650 cell. Can't imagine lights more compact than this with the same power source.
Cons:
One REALLY big con, here: The light would not fire reliably when I got it. I tried all kinds of things: wiping the silicone lube off the threads, overtightening the light and even removing some of the anodizing from the threads. Eventually I got it to work ... but what a hassle! It's a shame, too, because this is a very attractive design with excellent fit n' finish.
Other:
Light is not that much brighter than good P4 lights out there.
GITD tail switch looks good.
Bottomline:
Buy it ... but only if you are prepared to really work it over to get it to function. Once I did so, I was able to get it to produce a nice, bright beam (like a slightly over-clocked P4) without flicker.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections